This post is also available in: Français
Tim V Lion is a larger than life character, who gives as much as he can, especially when he’s on stage with Sham 69. We’ve had the pleasure of meeting him several times, and also spent some time with him one sunny morning in Hameenlinna, Finland, in 2015, where he patiently and kindly answered all Cheryl’s questions and kept her entertained until we had to take our train back to Helsinki.
1.Name – Tim V
2. Profession – Singer for SHAM 69
3. What were you like as a teenager? – OOOH long time ago I was a very reserved teen never went to discos, but loved football and music. Went to all the Millwall home games and was a ‘half way liner’ and made it to F-TROOP. Music I always listened to bands like Slade or classical music…weird I suppose. I wasn’t very rebellious but hated conformity…Bowie fascinated me as did glam rock.
4. How have you changed since then? – Christ shitloads, I think coming from a broken home at a early age made me tough, but unlike some musicians who spout bullshit about working class roots I really did and I learnt a lot from that, it made realise that everything is there for everyone if you really want it. Why travel 2nd class when everyone should travel 1st class, it changed me to realise aspiration can come from anywhere..so yes I’ve changed.
5. What do you like doing in your free time? – I love listening to music and reading and writing books, of course I love performing and writing music. I do a lot for charity and like to support animal welfare, but most of my spare time is doing Army work. I am a instructor for the army and help young kids build their characters and get them to survive the life on the streets.
6. How long have you known your oldest friend? – 51 years…my Mum but now she’s dead.
7. Good things about getting older – Becoming wiser and seeing things and people more clearly and see the things for what they really are and learning that sometimes offending the idiots in life is the best way of dealing with criticism.
8. Most difficult thing about getting older – hahahaha…aches and pains and listening to old punks bands talking about riots and anarchy
9. Advice, or words of wisdom, for the young ‘uns about becoming old and wrinkly – NEVER EVER try to be something for the sake of someone else, don’t live your life to other people’s standards and seek the truth as that is where wisdom lives. If you are gifted with the opportunity of something you may never have the chance of doing again..then take it. Never betray good friends and don’t fear criticism.
Like our interview with Tim V? Don’t miss our others – “Talk”
Want to receive our newsletters? You’ll get latest news, events, and other goodies first! We send newsletters no more than twice a month – we won’t spam you and we won’t sell your email details!Follow us: